Thursday, March 26, 2009

Debunking Myths (of all kinds, apparently...)


While working the other day, I came across a banner ad for Venus, you know, the women's razor brand?

The ad read, "Shaving Myths Debunked. Myth #1: It's okay to use my date's razor."

My first thought, was, Ew, ew, ew. For many reasons, none of which are necessary to go into in this post. You can figure them out, I'm sure. I ain't got no stupid readers.

My second thought was, Hey, wait, is this ad just assuming we're all sluts and that we'll just be slutting it up and going home with our date for the night, thus making it necessary for us to use his razor? Couldn't it have at least said "boyfriend"? Maybe even "partner." But no, Venus just assumes we're screwing our co-worker's best friend's cousin who happened to ask us out one night.

It assumes that, not only do we not have any sense of propriety or cleanliness, but that we also will IN FACT wake up at 4 a.m. in a strange house in desperate need of a shave.

At which point we'd then OF COURSE use our date's razor.

This makes complete sense to me. Doesn't it make sense to you?!

No comments: